Hall of Famer
Percival Christian Bott
Christian Percival “Punch” Bott, one of Canada’s outstanding skiers in the late 1930s and early 40s is one of the few Canadian skiers to have won both the national alpine and nordic championships.
Punch was an outstanding and versatile competitor, including ski jumping, cross country and combined events, and the alpine disciplines of downill, slalom and combined. His prolific ski jumping career began in 1927 at the age of 9, when he won the Montreal Ski Club jumping championships in the novice division. He was designated a class “A” competitor in 1930 and by the age of 12 he became known as the “schoolboy wonder”.
- 1934 – Gold, Canadian nordic championships, jumping, Trois Rivieres, Quebec.
- 1935 – Bronze, USA Eastern jumping championships, Rumford, Maine, U.S.A.
- 1936 – Gold, Canadian nordic championships, Jumping, Toronto, Ontario; Silver, CASA National Alpine Championships, Downhill, Toronto, Ontario.
- 1938 – Silver, Canadian alpine championships, downhill, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 1939 – Silver, Canadian nordic championships, jumping, Fort William, Ontario; Gold, Canadian alpine championships, downhill, Fort William, Ontario.
- 1940 – Bronze, Canadian nordic championships, jumping, Cote des Neiges, Quebec; Silver, Canadian alpine nordic, downhill, Cote des Neiges, Quebec; Silver, Canadian alpine nordic, slalom, Cote des Neiges, Quebec; Silver, Canadian alpine nordic, combined, Cote des Neiges, Quebec.
Note: Copyright © 2023, Canadian Ski Museum & Hall of Fame. For personal or educational use only. All rights reserved.
Punch Bott at Mount Rundle in Banff, Alberta. CSHFM Collection.
Punch Bott – far left. United Photographic Store – Montreal.
[L to R]: ?, Punch Bott, Margaret Clifford, Christian Clifford, John Clifford at 1988 Canadian Ski Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. CSHFM Collection.
Ski jumping at St Moritz, 1930
All the daredevil action captured by newsreel cameras perched at the top of the ski jump at St Moritz. This short newsreel from January 1930 captures a ski jumping competition at St Moritz from every dramatic angle.